Saturday, September 13, 2008

Where NORM went by Barbara Ellen Meyer-Spidell 1994

...we shall revisit this one as I just relocated the original- the other rendidtion found on another page here- was a replication of this one...

Where NORM went by Barbara Ellen Meyer-Spidell 1994

...where Norm went.
Where did he go?
I saw him vanish curiously so
It was as if he escaped out the back way
I thought he'd certainly reappear the very next day

In as streetwise as he'd gone out
I knew he'd know my side if only I'd shout
so I shouted 'til my chords coarse, (in defense with dramatic suspense)
and then I shouted 'til my voice hoarse
"Norm always conceded to that; he'd drop his head and take off his hat."
He would try and stick around in the merry facade, and then ruthlessly leave once more.
The next time he slammed the door.

Where was the 'Big Norm'?, I would jest.
I no longer cared to say, for he stopped returning the very same day.
The norm that I longed for was completely gone.
His leaving inspired somewhat of a blues song:
'There is no merry facade
Brick by Brick. Even. Odd."
My inward Magician built a topple ready wall
Posing fiercely yet ready to fall.

Each leaving crueller than the last
Until I couldn't remember a less violent past.
Where was the norm.
This time it slammed the door.
Whore.
What Norm ever was, I had forgotten.

Who does this Norm cat think he is anyways?
I'd growl as if to say, 'I've my own Bluessong anyways, and you can't touch.
Oh that time, it didn't hurt too much.

My wall?
I had added support; I built it higher, stronger, and with ricochet report.
I'd cower on the other side, subconciously, one might say; nonethless, I
silently plead, 'Norm you can't treat me this way.'
Softly and seriously I spoke.

Each leaving in the past less cruel than the last.
I, the mockery
I, the outcast.

When norm left one day, the pinnacle of furious hateful play,
I could at last recall completely how it all began.... a slammed door...
as I picked my bruisd body off the floor.
....still recalling the Norm that went away,
I arose and walked out the front way,
and emerged to find simply a glorious day.

No comments: