Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Miser and the Middlecat written by Barbara Ellen Meyer-Spidell circa 1993

The Miser and the Middlecat by Barbara Ellen Meyer-Spidell circa 1993
for my children....

The Miser and the Middlecat, The Middlecat of three
The Miser told the Midlecat and he told me
The Valley is rising as the sun sinks low
The ground does rise, but oh so slow


So I climbed upon my wooden horse
with the knowledge so brief
and I galloped off to see the Indian Chief of the Chief
The Chief said 'How' in reference to what I'd said
I had to admit then and there to what I'd been fed


So I gallopped back to the place where I'd my start,
to find the Middlecat lying there with a broken heart
He said the miser'd been his friend only when he'd his way
but then he'd questioned the words the miser had to say


Now he's lost his only friend and had nothing left
He was dying of a broken heart
but had one request:
Find my other Brothers and tell them what has come;
tell them to learn from my mistakes and what I'd done.

So I began my journey to find Zululand
A place where the cat had lived when ALL this had began


To make this story short:
The Middlecat hadn't died
He'd fed me another story- just another lie
There is no Zululand, it's a place long past
There is no sinking valley, only rising grass
There is no Miser or a Middlecat of three
There is only the Indian Chief, Wooden horse and Me.

No comments: